Our family solicitors in London are ready to help you navigate the difficult times that follow the divorce or separation decision. Once you have made this important decision, jointly or separately, you will find that there are a number of legal issues that need proper resolve, especially when children are involved and when the assets accumulated during the marriage are significant.
We are here to assist you throughout your divorce or separation with much-needed legal advice as well as a heartfelt understanding of the emotional times you are going through. Our divorce lawyer in London can answer any questions you might have on the UK Family Law, your rights and obligations, and how to move forward with the general divorce procedure.
We are a team of family lawyers in London who specialize in divorce and separation, pre-nuptial agreements, financial and maintenance settlements as well as child custody. Between them, our lawyers and Family Law specialists have years of experience and have handled various cases involving different family constellations. We are here to help you if you and your spouse are both UK residents or if one or both of you are expats.
All of our lawyers have specialized in Family Law and have worked with people from all walks of life. All of our attorneys are passionate about this particular legal field and are here to provide quality services, when possible without the intervention of the Court.
Our clients can rely on our professional services from the start of the divorce procedures, as soon as you have made your decision, and up until the final decisions are made, the last financial settlements or inheritance issues are resolved. At the start of the process, before you serve the divorce papers to your spouse, or just as you are jointly coming together to draw up the papers, the situation may seem quite daunting. Our family solicitors in London are here to support you and we know that it is truly human to feel overwhelmed.
Our London-based lawyers specialize in a number of key areas related to divorce and separation, starting with providing our clients with much needed legal counsel in the early stages, such as determining the adequate grounds for divorce. No family situation is the same. Our family lawyers in London have a personalized approach, one that takes into consideration the unique family consternation. When minor children are involved, our focus is also towards their wellbeing and how the final settlements, the custody and maintenance agreements will benefit them.
We can help clients with the following:
- Divorce procedures: with our help, the divorce procedure will run smoothly and our team will represent you in court, if need may be.
- Spousal maintenance: our divorce lawyer in London can help with Court representation for the lower-income spouse who is entitled to maintenance after the proceedings;
- Issues related to children: joint custody is common in London, however, the best interests of the child are at stake in this case and our lawyers will help you determine the optimal solution;
- Financial settlements: our lawyers can help you negotiate through the various financial settlements that may be required.
Although not directly related to divorce, but more as a preventive measure to preclude separation, our team is also able to provide guidance to spouses who are interested in pre-nuptial agreements. Please feel free to reach out to us if you have any questions about this issue.
Divorce in the UK
The grounds for divorce are numerous, from adultery to unreasonable behaviour or having lived separately for a certain period. According to the Office for National Statistics, there was a decrease in divorces in opposite-sex marriages in 2018, compared to 2017. Our family solicitors in London list other interesting statistics below:
- Divorce rate in 2018: the total number of heterosexual divorces recorded in 2018 was 90,871, 10.6% lower than the previous year;
- Average marriage duration: in opposite-sex couples who divorced in 2018 the average marriage duration was of 12.5 years;
- Heterosexual divorce: the divorce rate among same-sex couples in 2018 fell to 7.5 divorces per 1,000 married men and women;
- Same-sex divorce: in 2018 there were 428 divorces recorded in same-sex couples, an increase from the 338 cases recorded in 2017; the majority of these were female couples.
We understand that marriages break down and that, once this happens, you will often need to rely on a robust partner who will be able to support you in making the soundest legal decisions regarding your future life. Contact our divorce solicitors in London for more information on how we can assist you during this important life change.